August 31, 2010

Happy Tues. Kind of pale here. Might get nicer, or maybe not. Fall is in the air. Leaves are turning. I saw frost one morning recently.

Cattus is up in the loft sleeping off her traumatic visit to the vet yesterday. He shaved a largish patch of fur off her left side and inserted rubber tubing to drain an abscess. We are doing antibiotics also. Sheesh. She looks kind of weird, but fortunately she can’t see herself in a mirror. The tube comes out Thursday. She barfed the first food I gave her with antibiotics in it. She ate another “serving” and kept that down for about six hours. Cat barf at 3:00 am is a real delight. Am hoping the third time was/is a charm. Would be glad to have her back in fettle once more.

Local news is this and that again. No overriding theme. A squabble at the Shakespeare Theater management. Sex offender sentenced to 50 years. Hunting news. The usual stuff.

We have a PR today with some mayhem—

Multiple charges

Fewer than 10 days after pleading guilty to drunken driving, a Fort Yukon man is back in jail on charges of vehicle theft and another DUI, among assorted other charges. Clifton Jonas, Jr., 19, was arrested by Fort Yukon police early Saturday after police received a call from a woman in the village who said she almost was struck by a speeding truck. The woman told police she thought the truck was stolen because she knew the owner was out of town. Police located the truck about 10 minutes later on Barge Landing Road. When the officer pulled up behind it with lights flashing, the driver took off. The officer pursued the truck, which nearly came to a stop several times. Each time the officer tried to exit his patrol car to contact the driver, the driver took off again. The officer finally pulled alongside the truck and yelled at the driver, who he recognized as Jonas, to stop. Jonas pulled into the driveway of the truck’s owner, and he and two passengers jumped out and fled. The officer caught Jonas after a short chase and arrested him. Jonas admitted stealing the truck and drinking too much. He refused to submit to a chemical breath test, for which he was charged. Jonas, who pleaded guilty to a DUI charge on Aug. 19, also was charged with driving with a revoked license and failing to stop at the direction of a peace officer. Four hours later, while waiting at the Fort Yukon airport to be transported to Fairbanks Correctional Center, Jonas was accused of trying to pull away from and fight with the officer. The officer had to take Jonas to the ground to regain control of him and cuff his hands behind his back. Jonas was charged with misdemeanor assault and resisting arrest.


• A Fairbanks man was arrested and charged with DUI and harming a police dog after police received a report he was passed out behind the wheel of his car with the engine running in a parking lot on Davis Road. Police found Dallas Cole Hight, 24, asleep in the driver’s seat of the car, which was revving so fast flames and melting objects were dripping from the engine compartment, according to a criminal complaint filed by police. The officer shut the car off with Hight still sleeping behind the wheel and had to wake him up. Hight admitted drinking five mixed drinks at the Gold Rush Saloon earlier in the night. He failed field sobriety tests. After being arrested, handcuffed and placed in the back of a canine patrol vehicle, Hight became violent and began screaming and banging his head against the dog kennel in the vehicle. Hight yelled so loudly at the dog, K9 Stryker, that it caused the dog “great mental and physical stress,” according to the criminal complaint. Hight continued to torment the dog despite repeated warnings to stop. Hight was charged with harming a police dog. During the 15-minute waiting period at the police station for a breath test, Hight became aggressive and spat on the video monitor that was relaying instructions on how to take the test. Hight tried to pull and rip the electrical cords and equipment off the wall. He was restrained by two officers before submitting to a test that showed his breath-alcohol content to be 0.125 percent, more than the legal limit of 0.08 percent.


Comments are closed.